Experimental Study Group
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Experimental Study Group!
The Experimental Study Group (ESG), MIT’s oldest first-year learning community, is celebrating 50 years of innovation in education. To commemorate this milestone, ESG will host a series of events April 3–4, 2020, including:
• The premier of the ESG documentary, Experimental: Experience a journey through 50 years of experimental education as expressed through the stories of the people of ESG—five decades of alumni, staff, current students, and other key players. Part memoir, part history, part philosophy, Experimental weaves a compelling narrative illustrating the spirit and diversity of the ESG community members and the impact ESG has had on them and the greater world beyond.
• A unique ESG experience: Step into the ESG realm and immerse yourself in a highly interactive educational experience. Challenge preconceived notions and gain a new perspective about learning, teaching, and community building. Take time to experience, reflect, and discuss.
• An anniversary celebration for the ESG family!
Why ESG needs your help
The ESG 50th anniversary celebration is unique, costly, and outside the scope of our standard fundraising efforts. To help defray a portion of these expenses, we have set an initial crowdfunding goal of $10,000—and with your support, we can reach it.
What you get for giving
• ESG anniversary thank-you ($10): Get a handwritten thank-you card from a current ESG student.
• Friend of ESG ($25): Have your name listed as a donor on the ESG anniversary website.
• ESG beanie ($75): Keep your brain warm with our newest ESG beanie.
• ESG T-shirt ($150): Receive a limited-edition cotton ESG T-shirt from the past.
• Free entry to the ESG anniversary party ($500): For ESG students and alumni only, attend the anniversary party the evening of April 4, 2020, on ESG.
• Dinner with the ESG director ($1,250+): Enjoy a dinner and conversation with Leigh Royden, ESG director and professor of geology and geophysics.
Ways to help this campaign
• Donate now: Your contribution will help defray a portion of the anniversary events’ expenses.
• Tell your friends: Share this campaign with your friends and family on Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.
• Follow us: Get updates on the documentary, including preview video clips, by following us on our Facebook page and visiting our website.
Some background on 50 years of learning at ESG
Founded in 1969, ESG began its 50 years of educational experimentation by giving a select group of MIT first-year students the freedom to learn core subjects through self-guided independent study. Over the years, education at ESG has evolved from the independent study model to offering the MIT first-year undergraduate core curriculum in small classes that foster a highly interactive learning experience. This environment encourages students and teaching staff to get to know each other well and enables instructors to adapt their pacing and teaching, both academically and culturally, to their students’ needs. Community is one of ESG’s cornerstones. Peer-to-peer teaching, weekly community lunches, and outside social activities are just some of the ways ESG helps to create a communal sense of belonging.
Want to learn more? Check out our website at esg.mit.edu.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org