MIT Alpine Ski Club
Support the team and get some great gifts for the holidays!
MIT has had an alpine ski team since the 1950's. As a result of the financial downturn, the team lost Varsity status in 2009; since then, donations from alumni, friends & families have made up the bulk of the team's funding. We've got a great community of dedicated athletes, alumni leaders, and supporters that keeps the tradition of skiing alive at MIT. Way to go!
What We Need & What You Get
Winter is just around the corner (and that means holiday shopping is too) and we are continuing our fundraising efforts for the 2014-15 season. We are hoping to raise $5000 with this campaign to build up a snowy day fund for the team.
- Between alumni donations, funding from MIT, and last year’s Indiegogo revenue, we have been able to run the team each year, but we would like to build a buffer to guard against slow donation years or cost increases. Our league fees have gone up again this year, and we're expecting an even greater number of athletes. Our snowy day fund will help ensure that we're able to continue to run the team with the same great training camp we've always had.
- We've got some great perks we're excited to share with you - we've created knit headbands, shot glasses, pint glasses, hoodies, and embroidered Patagonia ski jackets. So stock up on those holiday gifts early for friends and family!
- Also, if you'd like to receive any of the perks separate from your donation, send us a note - we can accommodate special orders.
It's really important that we reach our goal - the team is counting on it!
We've cut the operating budget of the team dramatically in recent years but league expenses continue to rise as USSA and USCSA are both increasing fees. Skiing is already quite an expensive sport, so we want to try to keep racers' out-of-pocket costs as low as possible (on average $1000 per racer per season for a season pass, lodging & food during training camp, race dinners, etc.).
Donations are the biggest portion of the team's income and ensure that we can continue to maintain the team without making significant changes to the way we run the program (i.e. shortening the training camp or increasing athlete out-of-pocket costs). The month-long IAP training camp provides an awesome way for athletes to perfect their skiing technique as well as taking a nice, active break from MIT. Alums build lifelong friendships and often cite skiing as one of the activities that gave them the balance and perspective they needed to succeed at MIT.
We make it a priority to run the team with a great deal of fiscal responsibility. We always welcome questions, comments and suggestions from our donors so please don't hesitate to email us with questions.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Spread the word about this campaign - share it with your friends and families and anyone else who would be excited to support the team! Share on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Contact us if you're interested in volunteering your time - we've got a solid group of alumni who help the team get organized & get ready for the season, and we can always use more help.
- We also welcome donations of race gear, tuning equipment, or wax that you no longer use - these materials help some of our newer racers get into the sport without breaking the bank!
Info About the Perks
- $10 -- Become a "Friend of the Team" -- We'll add your name to our list of supporters on our website, and we'll add you to our mailing list so that you can stay up to date on team news.
- $30 -- MIT Skiing Shot Glass -- The shot glass will be laser-engraved with the MIT Skiing beaver with goggles logo. Because it is laser engraved, it will be clear, not colored. Pairs perfectly with those shot skis!
- $45 -- MIT Skiing Knit Headband -- With your $45 donation, receive a knit retro-style MIT skiing headband in maroon, black, and grey with “MIT Skiing” in block letters to show those other skiers in the lodge your MIT pride. An example can be found here.
- $75 -- Pair of MIT Skiing Pint Glass -- This pair of pint glasses will be a laser-engraved Libbey pint glasses with the MIT Skiing beaver with goggles logo. Because it is laser engraved, it will be clear, not colored. Pairs perfectly with those apres-ski craft beers!
- $100 -- MIT Skiing Hoodie -- This comfy solution to the cold of winter is grey and has a small MIT Skiing beaver with goggles logo on the front and “MIT Alpine Skiing” in maroon on the back in block lettering.
- $450 -- MIT Skiing Patagonia Ski Jacket -- This is a “buy one get one free deal” that benefits your skiing style and the team! With your donation of $450, you have the option of receiving one custom-embroidered red Patagonia Ski Jacket with the MIT Skiing logo and sending a second one to the team or you can send two new jackets to the team. For a sneak peak at what the jackets without embroidery look like, please check out the Patagonia website to view the jackets in Mens and Womens sizes.